Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Husbands and such...




Have I ever mentioned that I love my husband? Cuz I do. I think he is a wonderful man. In fact, he is wonderful in many ways, but he has one very big, monumental, hard to look past flaw...he is a man. Thats tough. It can be hard to get past sometimes. Here's why.

"Honey, did you call the dr about the procedure we talked about you doing BEFORE we got married?" --I bet you know his answer.
and
"The car is making that wierd noise, have you even called the mechanic to set up a time like I asked weeks and weeks ago?" His response was "You asked me last week"

We both are wrong, it was not weeks and weeks ago, nor was it last week. My question is, what is the appropriate grace period for something like this? How long should I wait before I mention it again? I know I am capable of making an appt with the mechanic. But in my attempt to give up some control--and maintain some sanity --I have decided to just STOP. I am not going to follow the boys around and pick up after them-- When I ask them to clean their rooms, what message am I sending if I just go in and do it myself when they don't do it to my liking? This does not apply to all things mind you. No, you may not go to school w/o brushing your teeth EXACTLY the way I showed you. No, you are not going to church wearing that. No my love, I do not want to eat cereal for our date night...again. Some things just need time.

Now again, I adore him. He is kind, oh so handsome, and he is generous. I am blessed to be his wife. I also absolutely float on air over the fact that I have Benjamin and Christian in my life. But they will one day be men too. And again, that's hard to get past.

Sometimes I feel as though they walk all over me,


and push my buttons,


but they can be oh so sweet,


my heart skips a beat,


and dances with love when I think about spending my life with them.


I love you too Christian


And Benjamin, I love you too

So when things get difficult, I turn daily to one of my favorite prayers, and because of this simple prayer, I am beginning to laugh at the unlaughable. Thanks be to God;

God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: