Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wonders

I wonder when the day came that the boys no longer hung on my every word, and asked me things like "How does Buzz Light Year fly?" You know...things I can answer. Instead they ask things like "When I get my own car, can I paint flames on the side of it?"

I wonder when the day came that the toy box became obsolete. We still have one, but it holds toys for the neighbor's kids and our friend's little ones to play with. When did the day come that the boys no longer had toys for the toybox?

I wonder when the day came that my 12 year old developed an opinion about everything, and takes it as a personal offense if we don't do something his way.

I wonder when the day came that when I open a bag of mini marshmallows for hot chocolate that no sooner than 6 hours later, said bag would be empty.

I wonder when the day came that the boys would no longer need me to bundle them up to go outside, so that when I look out the window, I would see them doing front flips into the mountains of snow at the end of the driveway-- sans gloves, hats, boots, snowpants, and scarves.

I wonder when the day will come that these things will stop nearly bringing me to tears. They're growing up so fast....too fast.

1 comment:

Jolene said...

I'm with you! My big guy is 9 and my baby girl just turned 5 this week. The only baby item left is a high chair for when my niece or friend'd kids visit.

In stead of toys this Christmas, my nine year old wants money.

It's sad. Really sad.