Thursday, June 4, 2009

One on one with Christian

Last year Benjamin's class was offered the opportunity to spend the night in the Science Museum. I chaperoned this trip, and we had an absolute blast! Since then Christian has been on pins and needles to go, and we just haven't made the trip. So when Brian and I knew that it would just be the 3 of us this past weekend, we knew it was time to get Christian up there. And boy oh boy, we couldn't have picked a better weekend!

First we had Christian's soccer game. He played goalie for one of the quarters, and he did a fantastic job.

His flexibility amazes me! One of these days I am going to post action shots of Christian. He is a great sport when it comes to making a good picture! Anyway, his team played a great game, and as it turns out is was Christian's last for the year.

After his soccer game we stopped at the school for the garage sale that was going on. Oh. My. Goodness! They had so. much. stuff. I had been in there the day before to help...barely, ok, so I did very little helping, but I got a glimpse of all that they would be trying to sell, and I am telling you it must have come out of their ears after I left, because when I came in Sat morning I was shocked! They had a great sale, and even made a huge amount of money! Go Lincoln!

From there Brian, Christian and I drove to the cities to go to the Science Museum. We had a great time looking and playing in all of the exhibits. Christian was bouncing around, checking things out, and running from one station to the next. He didn't read many of the directions, so we were asked "What does this do" dozens of times through out the day. Who could blame him though right? I mean who wants to take the time to read the directions, lets just DO IT!

He did sit and weave for quite awhile.


He spent some time taking a culture of the inside of his cheeks. He swabbed his cheek, then added blue liquid, dried it, blotted, and looked through the microscope to see the cells. He wasn't as interested in this as Brian and I were...on to the next!!
The mummy wasn't as big a kick for him as it was for the kids in Benjamin's group, but Christian sure did enjoy nearly everything the Science Museum had to offer.

As we were leaving we went out the front doors where there were tents set up across the street in the park. We walked over and it was a Children's Festival! There were booths, and games, and face painting and music! There was even a big open space with these cool sticks and hula hoops and juggling objects...Christian LOVED it!




We spent most of our time in this area where he tried his hardest to master juggling a stick between 2 sticks. I know that sounds vague, but I really have no idea how else to describe it.


We also made a parachute in one of the tents, and visited the butterfly garden where were able to catch and hold several butterflies. There were so many different kinds, and we were surprised to see how friendly many of them were.

After the festival we drove to Woodbury for a Trader Joes stop before we came home. It was a full, exciting, wonderful day with just our Christian. The next day he just wanted to stay home, until he remembered his cousin was just blocks away. So he disappeared for part of the day while Brian and I worked in the yard.

Christian and I tend to butt heads. I don't know if it is because he is just like me, or just like his dad....either way he and I don't always see eye to eye, but boy or boy, do I love to spend time with him. He can almost always make me laugh. He is sensitive and intuitive, and wise beyond his years. He is innocent and naive and impulsive and tends to act first/think later. I am grateful for my young son, and I look forward to watching him continue to grow with the same sweet enthusiasm he has now.

I know I end many of my blogs with how grateful I am, and I talk frequently about how blessed I feel to have the friends that I do, and the family that I do. Does it get old? Will I stop? Not likely. I truly feel undeserving of the life I have. I genuinely love nearly every aspect of my life right now. My children are wonderful boys, and they are learning and growing so much everyday, that I feel almost like I am watching instead of participating somedays. I adore my husband and still sometimes marvel over the sheer outrageous luck that he and I are together after all these years, and all those changes and choices that he and made so many moons ago. And as far as my friendships go, I am just in awe that I have met such a diverse group of men and women who I absolutely enjoy. Each person is so different from the next, and in any other situation I may not have become friends with many of them. But we have been brought together in one way or another, and I feel blessed to get to know each one of them.
God has given me riches that extend much further than the bank, and I don't ever want to take it for granted. So I say it regularily so that those of you who pop in from time to time to read my blog will know. I may not say it to you each time I see you, and for many of you I just don't get to see you as much as I would like, so I want you to know you are loved and appreciated over the miles and I thank God for bringing you into my life.
So get used to it peeps. If you are reading this it is because you've touched my life in some way, and I appreciate you. And I will tell you that from time to time.

Get it?

Good!

No comments: