Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Taking a break

This past week, I came down with a nasty cold like flu. Thankfully, it was not the flu with the name that shall not be mentioned! (I'm channeling Harry Potter doncha know?) Anyway, my voice decided that until I felt better, it would take a break. So, since Saturday I have been w/o a voice. I have had trouble sleeping the last few nights because of my throat, but now I am feeling better, and I would welcome my voice back anytime! Break time over!

Because of these sick days, I haven't been able to work in the store, who can blame her for not wanting me to bring whatever I have to her? So I have been able to not only keep up with my blog -- you're welcome-- but I have also been able to tackle our spare room and get some of the things that don't have a clear home, put away. We have a pretty cool attic that is surprisingly clean that I actually enjoy going into. It doesn't have the creepy cobwebs, or scary corners, in fact it has rods to hang extra clothing or coats, as well as TONS of space for storage. I have even thought it would be cool to put real floors in it for more living space...B says no. He will win.

I have had a chance to unpack some of the things that I have not unpacked for years and years because I didn't have space to put them. And now I have a whole room! Granted, that room still needs bookshelves--are you drawing up your plan B?


One wall in the spare room will look something like this

Or maybe this
We both share the same vision for the spare room, and I can't wait to have it finished, and now thanks to my voice taking a break, the room is ready for construction!

Today I joined my voice and took a break. I needed to calm down. I went on a little rant yesterday, and for those of you who witnessed the rant (in the previous post) then you will be happy to know that I feel much much better. I can't control what other people say or believe, but I do know what is true and at least my reality is firmly planted in, well, reality, so I will continue to be content knowing that. Instead of working around the house today, I decided to peruse some of my favorite consignment stores for accessories. Now that we have been in the house for awhile, I have a better idea of what sorts of things I would like for the space we have. I had fun looking around, and found some really interesting things. Like old records...B and I are trying to figure out how to incorporate them into our bedroom. In addition to the records I found several things for Christian's bedroom, the downstairs living room, and a cute sign for the laundry room, I was also able to check off specific things that we have been looking for since we move in! And ALL for under $30! Love it!

Furniture is tough. It must be durable, it must be comfortable, it must be the right size, and it should be new (this is where I can't really do second hand...many things yes, furniture? mmm, maybe not so much!). Oh yea, and we want to afford it...so yea, that weeds out many of the pieces we've looked at.

We finally settled on this one, right size, durable, super comfy and a great price...but I don't know about that color? With boys? In their space. In the not so distant future they will be teenage boys, which I sometimes think may be worse than toddler boys. When they were toddlers they had sippy cups with lids that didn't spill, and they weren't allowed to eat on the couch. But teenage boys---that is a different story. Sigh, why did I take myself there? I don't want to think about having teenage boys 1 1/2 years from now...not ready for that.

Tomorrow I get back into the classroom to volunteer for the year! I am excited to be back in their classrooms, and this year Benjamin is in a whole new world with a whole new volunteer code to follow!! Thank goodness Christian is still in 4th, because I have been told that at Benjamin's age, he will likely not acknowledge me being there, nor should I acknowledge him during school hours. It is the whole "don't speak unless spoken to" rule in 6th grade I guess. I seriously need to stop talking about how big he is getting! I am proud of all that he has accomplished, and he is at a very fun age right now. When I'm not thinking about how not-little he is becoming, I truly am fully enthralled with the young man that he is. It's just when I start thinking that 12 is around the corner, he is a 6th grader now, wasn't he just a baby? I suppose I should just take a break from thinking about that too! Sigh....

OH yea! PS....the changes are neither a baby nor a new job! Good guesses tho!

No comments: