Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Does anyone hear this?

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beeeeeepppppeeeeppppeeepp---ok, so it doesn't make that noise, but it may as well!

Dad has been moved from hem/onc to the Living Center (hospice) at the VA. His room is on the end of a long narrow hall, which unfortunately also 'seats' 2 people. Right now, he's sleeping solo, but you just never know if another patient will make an appearance. He looked great today! Really. His color looked good, he was coherent, he was moody--yea, he's back! I'm not fooling myself. He is on this floor for a reason. He is going to die. But, at least he is feeling better than he has in months. And that is saying something. His pain level was at 4 the entire day today...my 4 and his 4 are two very different levels I am certain, but he seemed ok with it.

Being on the end of the hall has some great advantages--fewer people walking by, quiet, relatively private. So private in fact that they can't hear the BEEP when the machines go off. For instance, while I was there, air got into the tube for his anti/nausea med. He pushed the nurse button, to which the front desk responded with "Can I help you"--this in itself is frustrating for him. Every time he has been admitted into the hospital, and each time he gets moved to another floor, we need to tell the front desk people that he can not talk! Don't ask if you can help him, he can't tell you. I digress,
So he pushes the button, they ask if they can help him, to which he doesn't respond (because he can't) they turn off the button, and fail to come in person. 1 minute passes, 2, 3, 5, 7...nearly 8 minutes passed before the nurse came to adjust the tube.

beep beep beep beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEPPPP.

I wrapped up my day today with a very ineffective work out at the gym. It wasn't great. But it beat sitting at home, so I'll take it.

Tomorrow night BOOK CLUB!! So excited! Julia Child has nothing on us this month--even if she is the inspiration!

Thursday night BAKLAVA CLASS! Another auction item purchased by a friend of mine, and I have been invited as a guest to learn how to make Baklava. This is something I've never done before, so I am truly looking forward to it! Besides, the more activities that help me take my mind off the fact that dad is in hospice the better!

Praying. Clinging. Believing.

No comments: